Monday, November 29, 2010

The King's Speech...

Stuttering, also called disfluency in speech therapy, is very painful both to the speaker and to those waiting to hear what he has to say. I know this from personal experience as one of our children stuttered from a young age until, after innovative and intense therapy, he is now able to speak with virtually no sign of disfluency.

Based on our own experience, I don't know if I'll go see the new film The King's Speech, which had a limited opening last Friday. It follows the story of King George VI, who stuttered throughout most of his life, as he tries to overcome his difficulties with the help of his speech therapist, Lionel Logue. Might be just too difficult to watch, at least for me, but it sounds interesting.

The Daily Beast takes a look at the film.

Of course, I might be able to rise above my misgivings and see the film given Colin Firth plays the King. He's a very good actor.



No comments:

Post a Comment